As you may know, I had a surgery on Monday last week. I had to have a uterine fibroid removed that has been there for over 6 years. I finally made the decision to get it done before we travel and hit the road and although the short term is not the most fun, I know it will be better in the long term. The past 2 weeks have been a roller coaster but things are getting better day by day. I am feeling good. I am still having some pain but I am up and walking around and moving. Definitely taking it slow and resting a ton.
I am really really glad that I spent a ton of time planning and preparing before surgery.
I love that quote “Failing to Plan is planning to Fail” — it is so so true!
Here are some of the things I did as I prepared for being off for the week of surgery that made it go much more smoothly and stress free.
- Rearranged my calendar. I made sure that I had no calls, no meetings and nothing I was tied to specific times for.
- Moved Asana tasks around. I made sure that none of my Asana tasks fell during that week.
- Set my Email out of office.
- Gave my assistant content to schedule on social media and email
- Scheduled follow up emails to current prospects
- Filled my calendar with sales calls for the week after surgery
- Posted on social to let people know I was out of office
- Made a list of people for Steven to update after surgery
- Asked for help (this is a tough one for me!)
- Made arrangements for childcare, taking kids to school, picking them up etc
- Made arrangements for dog sitters
- Made sure the house was really clean
- Had a grocery order picked up
- Got a seat ready on the couch at home with a side table with everything I needed (Chargers, books, medicine, headphones, remote, water bottle etc)
Planning for a week off for surgery (or anything really) requires some preparation and planning, but it can help you feel more in control and reduce anxiety. I know that if I would not have prepared these things ahead of time I would have felt a lot more stress during a really stressful week.